Sunday, September 27, 2009

One Month Down, 26 More To Go

The last post I made included a picture of our family table and the pictures included in the photobucket album have some of my fellow trainees in my Kazakh language class too. We had sharshlik, which is basically marinated meat on skewers drizzled in piva (beer). Pretty good i must say, but maybe once every 4 or 5 months. Since the 13th many things have happened. I have been teaching more classes, playing more english club games, writing more lesson plans and I seem to be getting the hang of it. Sadly, i have no free time, literally. My books are cast aside, even my language flashcards have been sitting on my desk untouched. I did get out to Issyk with some friends and we did a pretty grueling hike. The point to which we climbed was exactly 35 miles away from the Kyrgystan border, according to my friend Sidd's GPS device. The mountains have acquired a new blanket of fresh snow due to all the rain and the view is breathtaking. I hope to upload pictures eventually, but the system is very slow and the cafes are expensive.
Anyway, last week, Peace Corps took all of the trainees up to a beautiful waterfall in Issyk where we spent the whole day. I have pictures from that day too and I will hopefully share soon. The mountains were bright green and huge! I definetly felt like I was in Central Asia finally. It was a great day and I needed that break.
In a week and a half I will find out where I will be placed. I am really ready to get a move on to my site and start my job. Alas, the training is necessary and I know I will benefit in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment