Saturday, January 1, 2011

Жана Жылыңызбен!

Happy New Year!

Welcome 2011, goodbye 2010. This year has been an incredible one, filled with lots of growth, lots of trials and lots of boiled mutton. I'm happy to say I've survived all the turmoil and enjoyed the bouts of intense joy I've felt over the last 12 months. I spent this new year like any other, surrounded by friends, sharing yet more toasts and a few fireworks. The fireworks are the greatest part of the new year here I must say.
The biggest handheld fireworks are available on every street corner leading up to the 1st. You can buy all the fireworks you want, no one is going to come and tell you they're "not allowed". People here walk right outside, to the front steps and light and fire. At any one time, you can see dozens of tiny and large fireworks alike going off in between buildings, setting off car alarms, nearly hitting telephone lines and bursting so low in the sky that I instinctively duck after every one. This year's celebrations have been the first in a long time "without snow".
The locals have been animate about the fact that there still isn't any snow for us here in Zhez. I'm surprised myself, although I'm not really complaining.. Having snow and ice on the ground would have made my journey back home last night a little too interesting.

So, this year is looking bright. A year of transition for me, since I will come home to california. Who knows what adventures lie ahead. Time will tell.

For the mean time, I wish everyone out there a wonderful holiday. Be safe and get those resolutions rolling..

No comments:

Post a Comment