Sunday, November 21, 2010

Interview For Year Two


During my teacher training last month I was approached by a nice woman who works for a youth magazine in Zhezkazgan.Her name is
Altanay and I met with her boss at a cafe one day for an interview. They asked me a series of questions, some interesting and some I expected. Here is a fairly comprehensive translation complete with pictures.

Title : Volunteer From the USA

Laura Marshall Volunteer [Peace Corps]

Altanay writes: This is the first time I have ever met a real American girl. She has many emotions and uses many hand gestures.

Laura, are all Americans so emotional, like you?
Wow, I didn't realize that I was so emotional! I guess, I tend to use hand gestures and show my emotions more because I am always dealing with a language barrier here.
How are Americans then?
That's a very interesting question. I'm not sure I can answer that,I cannot judge every American. [I was trying to say, people in America don't really share one way of acting.]

OK, No problem. Now about yourself.
I'm from Los Angeles, CA. I'm 24. I'm working for the Peace Corps for 2 years here. I've traveled to Spain, Tanzania, and many cities in Kazakhstan.

Who is in your family?
My mother, Gene and my brother.

Do you have a house?
Yes, we have a two story house with a garden in California. My mother likes to workin the garden and grow everything from tomatoes to flowers.

Where did you learn Kazakh?
In Almaty, and right now I'm taking lessons with a tutor.

Why did you choose to learn Kazakh and not Russian?
I am in Kazakhstan, not in Russia. [This came out a little harsher than I wanted, but they were really happy that I spoke Kazakh, so this article was probably a good platform for them.]
Our people here have a different mentality about our languages.
What do they think?

That's a difficult question to answer, I don't think I can explain it.
Ok, I understand.

Another question, What is your opinion on the qualities of Kazakhstan?
Good or bad?

Truthfully, bad.
Hold on, I'm thinking. mmm..... I would have to say that the way men can be way to aggressive with women. Not in all situations, but in general.

Aggressive?
Yes, I said aggressive. For the most part, men in the States ,not all of them, but most, generally respect women. Also, if a man is aggressive and abuses a woman he will be judged by other people and sent to court by the police. People don't let abuse go in the States. There are consequences. Here, men are seen as more valuable and prized than women. Therefore, some men grow up thinking there isn't a problem with only respecting other men and not women.

Do you think that women here want to be second to men?
[They just wrote that I laughed, which seems a little heartless to me.. I probably said something but I don't really remember]

What other negative qualities?
Well, in a matter of communication, there can be problems. Here, people speak very directly. They will say "No, you are wrong.", to your face. We[as Americans] tend to speak more apologetically, ask for forgiveness more and make more polite requests. It can be hard to communicate sometimes. We might say instead, "I'm sorry but that isn't correct."

It's not so good but everyone is content with everything. For example, when you teach the children, Local teachers speak to you when they are not right and they never say "I am not correct". An interesting conflict.
Yep, that never happens. [This is totally untrue in my experience, but overall, it's what she understood from what I said]

And finally, one more quality?
Well, the air and water are pretty polluted here in Zhezkazgan, so I would have to say the environment is a bit poor.

So now, what positive opinions do you have about our Kazakhstan?
Well, the people are very hospitable. They tell you to eat, eat, eat, eat all the time.

What national foods have you eaten? Kyrdak, Besbarmak?
I can't eat so much meat, but I love plovf and baursak.
What kind of Kazakh music do you know?
I know a few songs. Right now, I cannot really remember how any of them go.

Kairat Nyrtac, do you know him?
Yes, I do.

Laura, do you have a boyfriend right now?
Nope, not right now.

If one of our Kazakh boys were to ask you to marry, would you stay in Kazakhstan?
Wow, I don't know. I can't really say. The men are handsome [THEY ADDED THAT LAST ONE, I didn't say that.... ]

So, when will you get married?
Right now, I'm too young. I am only 24, I know that in Kazakhstan, I am very old! I want to have a career first, travel and make a life for myself. My next plan is to go back to university and travel to SouthEast Asia, namely Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.

If and when you do get married, will you give up your dreams of traveling?
No, he will just travel with me!

How much does Peace Corps pay you?
I won't say how much but just know it's plenty for me.

Do you have local friends?
Yes, my teachers at Z.H.I.C. Aizhan, Aygul, Acel [should be Assem], Perizat and Ghulshat.

Thank you, this was very interesting!



WHEW. that's the whole interview. The rest of the article gives more of an overview of Peace Corps [корпус мира]. I hope it was interesting!

Link to photos, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment