Saturday, November 14, 2009

Zhezkazgan Update

I've reached my second week at my site. Things are going really well here and I am fitting in just fine. In this small city/big town there are many opportunities for projects and "clubs" with teachers and students. I am working at a college, which is  a little bit like a high school and trade school combined. I am working with kids aged (15-18). I have my very own classroom 3 times a week and we basically practice speaking English with a variety of materials. I like to have them listen to songs and talk about the meaning. They love to act out role-plays too. I am really having fun with my students in the classroom. The school itself is well off with equipment, as far as printers, faxes, chalk, internet, etc. They actually have a great library collection and there are two "smartboards" I can use. I've been able to use powerpoint too which is so great! Currently, I arrived in Zhezkazgan on  the 4th and it has only been 10 days since i've been here. It feels like I have lived here for months! I feel so at home here, the other volunteers have really welcomed me into their community. I have met locals already and made friends with "the fruit lady" in the bazaar. I have connected with the other English teachers as well, and they have welcomed me warmly. I am living in a "suburb" outside of the main part of town. I am about 25 minutes by bus and walking distance from my college. So far, the distance hasn't proved to be too much of a problem. When the weather gets to be really stormy and snowy I have options to stay at the other volunteer's apartments if I need to. So I will always have options. My host family also has a car, so on days that are too cold to wait outside for the bus, they said they will pick me up in the car. I feel so taken care of here!

Here's the breakdown of my family: I have a host mom, she has a traditional Kazakh name which I can't really spell out well, I have a host dad, his name is Mustafa, he works with taxes, thats all I know. My host mom is a house wife, but worked as an accountant at the bank in Zhez before she got married. They have 3 boys, the oldest is 18 and he studies English in Almaty at the University, the second son is Alikhan. He is 16 and he attends a private Turkish/Kazakh school. They actually have some lessons given only in English there, which is pretty impressive to me. The third son is Tanjaruhk, he's only 4 and super bright. All of the kids in this family, the boys, nieces and nephews, etc are all very smart kids. Most of them know at least 4 languages. Since here is Kazakhstan, everyone speaks Russian, they have 2 right off the bat. These kids also studied Turkish which is similar to Kazakh, since Kazakh is a turkic language. 

Needless to say, I am surrounded by very loving, open and caring people. I couldn't have asked for anything better. The other teachers are great too. We just celebrated Gulshat's birthday a few days ago. She made mante and salads. It was great food! 

I have added another link to my photo album where we celebrated my Host Grandfather's birthday. I hope you enjoy the pictures and I'll be sure to update again soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment