Thursday, November 26, 2009

Some other details

I feel like my blog postings haven't been substantial enough. I've lacked the time and real energy outside of my 3X a week Kazakh lessons, clubs and classes to update you all on what my new site is really like. So, let me indulge. The small city, large town here in the middle of the steppe has about 70-100,000 people. There are two indoor, western style markets, a few upscale clothing stores, many cafes and a very substantial bazaar. The city itself is adjacent to a prominent mining city called Satpaev. This city is named after a scientist from the 40's who settled there, discovered its natural resources and was the first to make a profit on them. Thus, the people who live there are rich, there are stable jobs and the people are happy. Zhezkazgan is similar in that it is mostly a mining city. Because of this there is pretty bad water pollution and not a very serene or beautiful landscape. I will say this, that the snow helps tremendously to mask the distopia. For such a barren place, speaking only from this winter frame of reference, the people here are so good natured and friendly it's uncanny. It is as if they make up for the lack of rolling hills, mountains, rivers and beautiful lakes that are in so many other parts of Kazakhstan. I don't think that the lack of natural beauty here is going to be a huge deterrant for me. I know the winter will be long, it will be cold and I will find it rough, but I really do enjoy the snow. I like the feeling of crisp, clean air and the snow crunching under my feet. It's all very new to me and I'm definitely embracing it with open arms. 
Anyway, back to the people and my surroundings. My college is great as well. I am working closely with 2 teachers at present and starting in March I will work with all 7 I hope. I have had a lot of support, understanding and guidance as I make my way around my new classes. In training, I was given training on solely secondary aged classrooms. It was only at sight announcement that I found out I was going to be teaching older students. So having this new status means longer classes, technically less work hours, more autonomy and freedom away from the texts used in this country (which are appallingly bad). This kind of set-up is right up my alley. This whole last week I gave a 3 classes all about New York City. The music, the culture, hip-hop, the history of graffiti and we watched a beatboxing clip from a beastie boys concert. I am reaching into what I am interested in, and in turn the students are interested as well. I am really having a blast working with this age group (15-19). 
There are a group of 6 girls, who are the 4th year students, who are my student help group. They are my leaders in training. They will assist me in organizing numerous bakesales for children without borders, the upcoming Christmas party for the english groups, a school wide talent show and fundraiser in february and any other event to take place in the school. I am lucky to have such a group of students willing to help out. 
There are already 4 volunteers close by, 2 in Zhez and a married couple in Satpaev. I have been working with them already with english club on thursdays, film club on tuesdays and the new teachers club on wednesday. I hope to also work with a literature club, begin a volunteer club, art club and possibly a monthly writing workshop. I really want to focus on the teachers I work with too. I want to help them with their TOEFL preparations as much as possible. There is such a wealth of opportunity here, I have been in Zhez only a month and I feel like I fit here like a glove. 
So for now, I am focusing mostly on learning Kazakh, getting to know Zhezkazgan and finding out my niche. Tomorrow I will go to Satpaev with the other 2 volunteers here in Zhez and we will have a thanksgiving celebration with the other volunteers. I am so excited! 

Happy Turkey Day everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment